Admission for hospice services requires meeting criteria established by Medicare, Medicaid or the patient's insurance provider.
This generally includes, but is not limited to:
- The patient must be under the care of a physician. All services must be ordered and approved by a physician.
- The patient must live within a 50-mile radius of Hutchinson. We serve patients in Barton, Ellsworth, Harper, Harvey, Kingman, Marion, McPherson, Pratt, Reno, Rice, Saline, Sedgwick, Stafford and Sumner counties.
- The patient or their family must desire services for the patient's care.
- The patient's home must be adequate for safe and effective care.
- Other criteria set by the patient's insurance carrier.
To be eligible for hospice services, patients must also be dianosed with a life-threatening disease that suggests a six-month or less prognosis. Patients who exhibit end-stage disease indicators or have significant comorbidities identified by their primary care physician may also be eligible.
The patient and family must understand hospice only provides comfort care, not curative treatment. Comfort care includes management of the patient's physical pain and emotional support for the patient and their family.