In The Nursing Home
Hospice team members are experts in end-of-life care, and nursing facility staff are experts in long-term care. A partnership between our agency and nursing facilities promotes optimal end-of-life care for patients and families. The hospice team collaborates with the nursing facility staff to adjust the care plan to promote the patient/family end of life choices. The following are examples of services we provide in the nursing home.
- Skilled and supportive nursing care - hands on care on consultation for pain and symptom management and wound care
- Medical social workers for counseling patients and families and staff
- Chaplain for spiritual support
- Volunteers for friendship and visitation
- Physical, occupational, and speech therapy for palliative needs as ordered by hospice
- Dietary counseling
- Medical equipment and supplies not covered in the standard room and board, related to the terminal diagnosis
- Medications related to the terminal diagnosis
- Continuous nursing care with an exacerbation of the patient's condition requiring skilled monitoring
- Bereavement support for the family for 15 months following the patient's death
- In-service training for the nursing home staff
We're an advocate for patients in nursing homes. We believe it's important to live each moment to tis fullest. We provide "extra touches" such as:
- Pet therapy - Professionally trained therapy dogs visit patients to offer comfort and companionship.
- Massages and nail care
- Personal visits to read, listen or play cards
- Life review - We'll create a family keepsake of transcribed stories as told by the patient.
We provide end-of-life care at most nursing homes in our service area. Call us to help make your loved one's jouney more comfortable.